How To Select The Best Garage Door For Your Home
The idea of choosing the best garage door is difficult. The process can even feel quite overwhelming, simply because there are so many styles and types to choose from. Also, there are other factors to consider such as choice of materials.
Choosing the right material for a garage door is an important part of the process. It might not be obvious from the street if your door is made of steel or aluminium, but the structural differences will certainly be noticeable to you in the long run.
Although purchasing a new garage door is one that most homeowners will only encounter several times in their lives, you do want to be reassured that your decision is the right one. Fortunately, if you work with the right garage door supplier, your odds of making the right choice drastically improve.
But here’s the question…What should you look for? What is available? There are more choices than you think, especially when factoring in materials such as steel, vinyl, wood. Styles such as modern, traditional or carriage house. Energy efficiency either insulated or non-insulated and colours.
What are the important factors?
- Garage Door Safety: Garage Door Safety is the most important thing to consider when choosing your garage door. You can no longer even get a garage door that doesn’t have the technology to detect something in its path and prevent it from crushing whatever that may be.
- Sizes: Not all garage doors are built the same. The good news is, as with regular doors, there are a few standards that most garage doors fall into. These standard sizes will fit your average car, truck, 4-wheel drive or boat.
- Garage Door Construction: Not all garage doors are constructed the same, so be sure to check out the materials used in the product. Next is the Insulation. Do you actually need to insulate your garage door? If you are stuck with an older garage door or can’t find an insulated one you like, there are lots of great DIY tutorials out there using inexpensive materials like foam to keep you safe from the elements.
- Automation - Okay, so automation is technically more about your garage door opener. There are tons of automation features for your garage door and the good news is that if you decide to go for automation, most devices will do all of them. Check out one of the many automated garage door openers if this is something you think you might be interested in.
Talking about the safety features, there are three main safety features you want to look when
choosing your garage door:
- Manual controls. This means you can manually open and close your garage door in an
emergency if it breaks or you lose electricity.
- Motion detection. This is how the garage door senses that there is an object (or human) in its path. It is very
- Auto-reverse. Okay, so your door can detect objects. That’s cool. But it doesn’t matter if it can’t, upon detection, automatically reverse its path to keep from crushing those objects.
Now, having all these features is great, but you also need to make sure you’re regularly testing your garage door to make sure all features are working properly.
- Garage Door Aesthetics: Although things like safety and materials are, more important than the way your door looks, we all know that choosing the look is the exciting part. There’s a lot to consider:
- Colour: Colour is important, yes, but it’s not permanent. You can always update it later so don’t worry too much about it being perfect right away. If your house is painted in light, bright colours, consider a deep, rich brown garage door. Alternatively, if you have a darker home, you can do a bright white garage door. If you want to get fancy, there are some beautiful turquoise and pastel yellow garage doors I’ve seen.
- Windows – Do you like a garage door with windows? You can go for no windows, a few top windows, sweeping windows or anything in between. Look around and see what you like and what will look best with your home.